Thursday, July 29, 2010

Texas Pork Burritos

I found this recipe in my Taste of Home magazine. That's the BEST $4.00 for a magazine subscription I've ever spent! It was soooooo good.

Ingredients
1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds), cubed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cans (10 ounces each) green enchilada sauce
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
10 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend

Directions

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the enchilada sauce, onion, carrots, olives, broth, cumin, garlic and oregano; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.

Combine flour and sour cream; stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro.

Spoon 2/3 cup pork mixture onto each tortilla; top with about 3 tablespoons cheese. Roll up tightly. Yield: 10 servings.

***Here are the changes I made: I didn't cook the pork prior to putting it in the crock pot. I just put the whole thing in there, and after 6 hours, I shredded the pork. Much easier. Also, I omitted the carrots. That seemed like an odd addition. Next time I make it, I'm going to use a 1/2 tsp of chicken bouillion (instead of chicken broth), in order to avoid it being so soupy (possibly less enchilada sauce as well. It was pretty soupy. I may make it AS a soup come this winter!). I also heated up some black beans and topped the burritos with those. YUMMY!!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment